What to bring — a checklist
Consult this handy checklist to help you pack. Your room comes furnished with a bed, dresser or built-in storage, limited closet space, desk and chair.
You may wish to share items with your roommate(s) such as a TV, rug or fridge. Check with them first so you don't have duplicates, and to discuss sharing the cost.
- Your copy of "Over the Hump," the indispensable guide to everything Connecticut College! You'll receive it in the mail.
- Bed linens (twin extra long: 80" long x 36" wide x 7" deep). (Consider ordering in advance from On-Campus Marketing Linen Sales. A percentage of all proceeds go to residential programming at the College.)
- Mattress pad
- Blankets, including one for picnics or lying on the Green
- Towels and washcloths
- Personal toiletries w/carrying caddy
- Clothes hangers
- Winter coat, hat, gloves
Very helpful to have:
- Laptop computer with ethernet cable (If you need to purchase a computer, Apple and Dell offer excellent discounts on many models for Conn students.
- Power strip/surge protector
- Extension cord
- Desk lamp or floor lamp, lightbuls (LED or CFL only)
- Laundry basket, detergent*
- Shower slippers or flip-flops
- Outfit for formal occasions (dress, suit or equivalent)
- Rain boots, snow boots
- Postage stamps, envelopes, etc.
- School supplies: pens, pencils, etc.
- Travel mug
- Desk fan, room fan
- Pushpins/nonstick adhesive squares for hanging posters
- Alarm clock
- Storage containers (under bed, other)
- Dry-erase board
- First-aid kit, digital thermometer, hot pack, ice pack
- Ear plugs and eye mask (If you're a light sleeper!)
- Books and supplies for classes (Each professor will inform you about what you need and all books are available at the Bookshop, the library or through our student-run lending library that provides free course books to students.)
- Refrigerator (a rental service is available through the College)
* Your Camel Card holds Camel Cash that can be used to do laundry.
Items for fun on campus and in New London
- Beach towel
- Bicycle with durable lock
- TV, DVD/Blu-ray player
Please leave at home:
- Hot plates/skillets, (George Foreman grills)
- Hibachis and grills
- Toaster ovens
- Space heaters
- Candles and incense
- Flammable fluids
- Air conditioners
- Ceiling fans/lights
- Halogen lamps
- Outside TV antennae or satellite dish
- Wireless routers; we provide phone, cable and data connectivity to every room on campus.
Other things you may want for your room
Televisions, microwaves, DVDs and DVD players, stereos, and radios are all fine to bring with you to campus. You may wish to check with your roommate(s) first so you won't have two of everything. Your room is equipped with cable service, so you'll need a cable-ready television. Please, do not bring space heaters of any kind! Look for low-wattage, fluorescent desk lamps and floor lamps, and purchase a power strip so you can plug them all in/turn them all off at once. And always look for Energy Star-rated appliances when making a purchase to help save energy. *
It's very convenient to have a small refrigerator (no larger than 3 cubic feet) in your room to keep drinks and snacks. You may wish to rent or purchase one through a refrigerator rental/purchase service that offers delivery, or purchase one locally at a nearby store (including Target and Walmart). You might want to wait until you arrive on campus and share the cost with your roommate(s). Again, look for Energy Star-rated appliances to help save energy.*
Since most residence house rooms are not carpeted, you may want to purchase a room-size rug or area carpet. It's best to wait until you get to campus, as you will have a better sense of your needs and you can buy them locally. Also, you may wish to share the cost with your roommate(s).
Computers may be used in your residence house room. We have a state-of-the-art communications network providing sophisticated phone and data connectivity from every room on campus, and numerous wireless access points. The network enables you to access many academic resources such as the automated library system, the courseware server, the CamelWeb intranet, email and the internet from your room. If you need to purchase a computer, Connecticut College has partnered with Dell and Apple to offer discounts on many models.
* Connecticut College is an environmentally aware campus. Please bring only energy-efficient lighting and appliances.