Student Health Insurance Plan

All full-time matriculated Connecticut College students are required to maintain adequate health insurance coverage. All students will have the Student Health Insurance premium on their bill pending the decision to enroll or waive out.

If you wish to use your personal or family health insurance, you must waive the College-sponsored plan to avoid being charged. If you plan to waive out of the plan with an out-of-state HMO plan, or a Medicaid plan from New York, Massachusetts, or Rhode Island, complete the Acknowledgment of Financial Responsibility 2024-2025 and email it to us at Please note that you must still fill out the waiver at

Students with out-of-state Medicaid (other than New York, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts) or coverage for emergencies only will *typically* not be allowed to waive out but do have the option of transferring coverage to the Connecticut State Medicaid plan ( This process may not be able to be completed until the student is actually on campus in the fall so you must communicate this information to SHS. Waiver extensions may be granted in this case. Please note that undocumented students are also eligible to enroll in Husky.

Please visit to fill out the waiver form. You will receive an email once you have successfully submitted your petition. Your plan will be reviewed to ensure that it is a comparable plan. You will then receive a second email approving or denying your petition submission.

If you wish to enroll in the College-sponsored plan, please visit this link,, to fill out the enrollment form.

Again, whether you are enrolling or waiving the College-sponsored plan you must visit

The deadline to enroll or waive out for the 2024-2025 plan is August 16, 2024. If no action is taken by August 16, 2024, the student will be enrolled in the plan.


The 2024-2025 Student Health Insurance Plan charge is $2,816. The policy term is effective from August 15, 2024, to August 14, 2025.

For further information on the 2023-2024 Student Health Insurance Plan, contact customer service at Gallagher Student Health at 877-373-2405 or visit


For more information regarding the Connecticut College Student Health Insurance Plan or help with deciding whether to enroll or waive coverage, visit Parents Corner.

Connecticut College-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan FAQs 

General Insurance FAQs

Insurance Billing and Fees

Student Health Services (SHS) does not charge students for visits with a nurse practitioner.* Laboratory tests, prescription medicines, procedures, and medical equipment provided, will incur a charge. Laboratory orders sent off-site will be billed directly to the student's insurance plan (College-sponsored and private) by Quest Laboratories. Student Health Services will not be held responsible for individual private insurance plan details (i.e. deductibles, co-pays, HSAs, etc.).

Please note that SHS does not bill private insurance companies for charges incurred in our clinic. Students with private insurance may visit the SHS web portal,, to view and print receipts to submit to their private insurance company for any reimbursement.

Follow these steps to print a receipt:

*Charges will be incurred if a nurse practitioner provides medication, or performs in-clinic laboratory testing or procedures during an office visit.

SHS has an estimated price list available for commonly ordered tests on-site. SHS does not know how much a student's deductible, copay, or coinsurance cost will be. It is the student's responsibility to be familiar with their plan.

Office Visits

  • There is no charge for any student, regardless of insurance type, to see a Nurse Practitioner at SHS.
  • Appointments can be scheduled online at any time through our portal, by emailing, or by calling the clinic during office hours at 860-439-2275.

In-House Labs:

  • SHS offers some lab tests and procedures on-site such as a rapid strep test or urinalysis. There is a CLIA-waived lab at SHS.
  • If a student has the student health insurance provided by the College, tests done at SHS are fully covered. If the student has private insurance these tests will be billed to their student bursar account. Providers will discuss the cost of in-house testing with students before doing the test. SHS does not bill private insurance companies.

In-House Medication and Supplies:

  • Student health insurance covers medications stocked at SHS and will be prescribed to students at no cost.
  • If a student has private insurance and SHS supplies them with stock medication the student's bursar account will be charged.
  • SHS can also write a prescription and give it to the student or have it sent to a local pharmacy to be filled and delivered. This will be billed directly to the student's insurance, these medications can usually be delivered the same day they are ordered.
  • SHS also charges for some supplies, such as an ace bandage or an air cast. These items work the same way as in-house medications.


  • Labs drawn here are sent to Quest Laboratory. These labs are not processed at SHS; these tests are billed directly to the student's health insurance by the lab. Routine lab results are usually received within 3-5 business days. X-rays and other radiology studies are usually done at either Backus hospital or Lawrence Memorial Hospital outpatient centers.


Student Accident Insurance Plan

All full-time students have secondary coverage through the Connecticut College-sponsored Student Accident Insurance Plan. Please click below for more information.

Student Accident Insurance Information 23-24

Student Accident Insurance Claim Form 23-24