Q: What must I do to be eligible to apply for transfer admission?

To be considered for transfer admission, you must complete at least one term as a matriculated student in a degree program at an accredited college or university after high school graduation.

Q: I took a few college classes as a special student (or non-degree student) elsewhere, but was not a matriculated student. Should I apply as a first-year student or transfer?

Because you were not a matriculated student in a degree-seeking program, you would apply for first-year admission to Connecticut College, but you should send transcripts of all college coursework as part of your application. (See full details about credit evaluation.

Q: I am in my first semester in college. Am I eligible to apply as a transfer?

Yes. Even though you do not have grades yet, you will fill out a Common Application Mid-Term Report" and we will render a decision based on mid-term progress and your high school record. Offers of admission are made with the expectation that coursework will be completed by the end of that term so that credits may then be transferred to Connecticut College.

Q: Is it okay to take a semester off if I am applying as a transfer?

When students realize that their current school is not the best match, they often opt to do something else the next semester instead.  As long as the student does something worthwhile (such as service work at home or abroad, internships or full-time work) it isn't a problem at all, and will not have a negative impact on the student's application. In fact, sometimes the new experience offers additional insight regarding what the student really wants out of their college experience. If this applies to you, be sure to include this information within your application materials.

Q: I graduated high school early and/or attended an early college program, how does this impact my application and credit transfer?

Students who enrolled at a college before completing a traditional high school program, or who attended an early college program (such as Bard Early College at Simon's Rock or Clarkson), must have a high school diploma or a GED in order to be eligible for any degree seeking program at Connecticut College.

College-level credit earned during this time is eligible to be considered as transfer credit.

Q: Can I get a second degree?

The mission of Connecticut College is to offer first-time bachelor degrees, and as such, the College does not accept applications from students who already have a BA/BS or MA/MS degree, even if you desire to pursue a degree in a different subject area. So unfortunately, you are not eligible for any of our programs.

Q: What if I just want to take a few classes (special student status)?

If you wish to take classes as a non-degree seeking student, you may apply as a special student through the Office of the Registrar.  This office also sets forth the summer study policy for limited summer coursework. 

If you plan to eventually enroll as a degree-seeking student, we encourage you to apply for an official degree program as soon as possible. In other words, you should not take classes as a special student indefinitely; you are encouraged to apply to a degree-seeking program within 1 or 2 semesters after you start taking classes at the College.

Q: What’s the difference between transfer and the RTC (Return to College) program?

The RTC (Return To College) program is designed for adults aged 25 and older whose education was interrupted and who wish to finish their Bachelor of Arts degree by enrolling part time (no more than 12 credits per semester). On-campus housing is not available to RTC candidates. Transfer students must have begun their education elsewhere, but transfer students have the option of enrolling on a full or part-time basis, and are eligible for on-campus housing.