The newly renovated Steel House is the home of the Office of Sustainability. Manufactured by Chicago-based General Houses Inc., the prefabricated house was erected in 1933 for Winslow Ames, the founding director of New London’s Lyman Allyn Art Museum. The property was used as faculty housing after Connecticut College acquired it in 1949.

The house received a full historically-sensitive renovation in 2013. The Steel House renovation was made possible with grants from the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD), the Dr. Scholl Foundation, a family foundation and the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, as well as a planned gift to the College.

Steel House wins preservation award

The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation took notice of Connecticut College’s tremendous effort to transform its historic Steel House from a rusty eyesore into a useful building and model of sustainability. Read the April 22, 2014, news release.