Camel Men, Women Ground Edgewood Eagles with 8-1 Wins
Men Improve to 3-0 on the Spring
HILTON HEAD, S.C.--The Connecticut College tennis teams are competing in Sunny Hilton Head, S.C. this week. Thursday, the Camel men and women secured 8-1 victories against Edgewood College in the Palmetto State.
The men have raced out to a 3-0 start, while the women have taken two out of their last three games, improving their record to 2-3.
Jeff Weisberger (Wayne Hills, N.J.) and Joshua Suneby (Wellesley, Mass.) posted straight set victories in their respective slots at #1 and #2 singles. Weisberger posted a 6-0, 6-1 triumph at #1 while Suneby prevailed in a 6-0, 6-2 victory at #2.
At #1 doubles, junior George King (Concord, Mass.) and freshman JC Cangelosi (Estero, Fla.) paired up for an 8-0 win.
Tuesday afternoon, the Camel men took five of six singles points to defeat Ithaca College 7-2. Weisberger, Suneby and Cangelosi posted straight set wins at #1, 2, and 3 singles.
The Camel women grounded the Edgewood Eagles Thursday, sweeping singles action. Junior Sara Krivoshik (Wilton, Conn.), Jen Herbert (Pawcatuck, Conn.) and Maria Pia Sifuentes (Forest Hills, N.Y.) won their points at #1, 2 and #3 singles.
Krivoshik cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory at number one. Herbert rolled in a 6-3, 6-2 win at #2 while Pia Sifuentes added a 6-2, 6-0 win at third singles.
In doubles action, Brittney Cangemi (Scituate, Mass.) and Brittany Badik (Madison, Conn.) paired up for an 8-4 win at number two.
The Camels dropped a 5-4 decision to Ithaca College Tuesday. Sifuentes notched a 7-5, 6-1 win at third singles and teamed up with Herbert to take an 8-6 win at first doubles.
Connecticut College 8, Edgewood College 1SinSingles competition
1. Krivoshik, Sara (CONN) def. Beckwith, Shae (EC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Herbert, Jen (CONN) def. Olsen, Laura (EC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Sifuentes, Maria Pia (CONN) def. Storbakken, Taylor (EC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Cangemi, Brittney (CONN) def. Boone, Kristen (EC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Badik, Brittany (CONN) def. Cihlar, Jessica (EC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Swanson, Maddie (CONN) def. No player (EC), by default
1. Olsen, Laura/Beckwith, Shae (EC) def. Sifuentes, Maria Pia/Herbert, Jen (CONN) 8-3
2. Cangemi, Brittney/Badik, Brittany (CONN) def. Storbakken, Taylor/Boone, Kristen (EC) 8-4
3. Swanson, Maddie/Krivoshik, Sara (CONN) def. Cihlar, Jessica/No player (EC), by default
Edgewood College 13-10
Connecticut College 2-3
Connecticut College 8, Edgewood College 1
1. Weisberger, Jeff (CONN) def. Strebig, Cody (EC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Suneby, Joshua (CONN) def. Divelbiss, Max (EC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Morgan, Tim (EC) def. Nguyen, Huan (CONN) 2-6, 6-4, 10-5
4. Tucker, Will (CONN) def. Mendoza, Edwin (EC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Bader, Jeremy (CONN) def. Wanta, Michael (EC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Fratt, Mike (CONN) def. Gavinski, Eric (EC) 6-3, 6-0
1. King, George/Cangelosi, John (CONN) def. Strebig, Cody/Divelbiss, Max (EC) 8-0
2. DeCorato, Mike/Bader, Jeremy (CONN) def. Morgan, Tim/Wanta, Michael (EC) 8-6
3. Tucker, Will/Weisberger, Jeff (CONN) def. Mendoza, Edwin/Gavinski, Eric (EC) 8-2
Edgewood College 1-11
Connecticut College 3-0
Ithaca 5, Connecticut College 4
Ali Young (IC) def. Krivoshik 6-3, 7-5
Carly Siegel (IC) def. Herbert 4-6, 7-5, 10-4
Sifuentes (CC) def. Laurel Salladay (IC) 7-5, 6-1
Cangemi (CC) def. Allison Vizgaitis (Fayetteville/Fayetteville-Manlius) (IC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
Kelsey Harness (IC) def. Badik 6-2, 6-4
Becky Campbell (Chadds Ford, Pa./Sanford School) (IC) def.Swanson 4-6, 6-4, 10-3
Order of finish: 3,5,1,6,4,2
Sifuentes/Herbert (CC) def. Young/Campbell (IC) 8-6
Cangemi/Badik (CC) def. Salladay/Siegel (IC) 8-1
Vizgaitis/Harness (IC) def. Swanson/Krivoshik 8-2
Connecticut College 7, Ithaca 2
Weisberger (CC) def. Newton 6-1,6-4
Suneby (CC) def. Reid 6-2,7-5
Cangelosi (CC) def. Riether 6-1,6-1
Andersen (IC) def. King 2-6,6-1,10-5
Nguyen (CC) def. J. Levine 5-7,7-5,10-6
Tucker (CC) def. Keltz 6-3,6-1
Newton/Andersen (IC) def. DeCorato/King 8-2
Weisbrger/Bader (CC) def. Dan Levine (Highland Mills/Monroe-Woodbury)/Riether 8-3
Tucker/Suneby (CC) def. Justin Levine (Highland Mills/Monroe Woodbury)/Zuckerman 8-5
Order of finish: 1,2,3
March 15, 2012