Sophomore breaks two school records at NESCAC Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships
The New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) has named 57 Connecticut College student-athletes to the 2011-2012 Winter All-Academic Team. To be honored, a student-athlete must have reached sophomore academic standing and be a varsity letter winner with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.35. Transfer students must have completed one year of study at the institution.
"We are very proud of the accomplishments of our student-athletes," said Fran Shields, the Katherine Wenk Christoffers '45 Director of Athletics and Chair of Physical Education at Connecticut College. "Competing in the NESCAC and in the classroom, it was a successful season for our programs."
The All-Academic team includes many standout athletes who made impressive contributions to their teams. Senior swimmer Tim Walsh, for example, capped off his impressive career as the winner of the NESCAC Four Year High-Point Swimmer Award. He helped the Camels crack the top 20 for the third time in the past four years with his All-American performance in the 100-yard backstroke at the NCAA Championship.
Junior Katie Karlson set a school record in the 50-yard breaststroke at the NESCAC Women's Swimming and Diving Championship.
Seniors Kerry Dermody and Ally Bonito and junior Michelle Wesley were all part of the women's swimming distance medley relay team that garnered All-New England Division III honors.
Sophomore Mike LeDuc makes his first appearance on the All-Academic team after qualifying for the NCAA Track & Field Championship in the 5000 meters.
Men's squash co-captain Jeremy Wong helped lead the Camels to a 17-win season and a first round upset victory against Colby in the NESCAC Championship.
In women's squash, senior Naomi Mayeux provided leadership and contributed to her team's three-match winning streak in the month of January.
Junior Boris Jeremic netted a game-high 15 points and hauled in five rebounds in men's basketball's 61-56 victory at Eastern Nazarene College in January.
Sophomore Tara Gabelman helped lead the women's basketball team to 16 wins and their inaugural appearance in the NESCAC Championship Tournament.
Gabelman garnered second team All-NESCAC accolades and led the league in rebounding with 9.4 boards per game.
Lauren Posillico, a senior assistant captain for the Camel women's hockey team, proved to be one of the program's top penalty killers and provided valuable leadership to a team that made its fifth consecutive appearance in the NESCAC Championship Tournament.
Senior defenseman Chris Fogg was one of six Camel men's hockey players named to the NESCAC All-Academic Team. The team hosted a "Green Dot" game in February to raise awareness for the prevention of power-based personal violence.
The Connecticut College student-athletes named to the 2011-2012 NESCAC Winter All-Academic Team are:
- Dana Albalancy '14; Women's Basketball
- Louise Bulow Andersson '14; Women's Hockey
- Ben Bajaj '14; Men's Track & Field
- Harrison Beauregard '12; Men's Swimming & Diving
- Jeff Beling '13; Men's Track & Field
- Ally Bonito '12; Women's Track & Field
- Matt Boudreau '13; Men's Track & Field
- Merry Byrne '13; Women's Track & Field
- Marcus Calvanico '14; Men's Hockey
- Natalie Clark '14; Women's Track & Field
- Tristan Cole '13; Men's Track & Field
- Caroline Corbett '13; Women's Hockey
- Aaron Davis '14; Men's Track & Field
- Gina Deitz '13; Women's Track & Field
- Kerry Dermody '12; Women's Track & Field
- Brooke Dinsmore '14; Women's Swimming & Diving
- Andrew Duarte '13; Men's Track & Field
- Aaron Fellows '13; Men's Track & Field
- Annie Fierberg '13; Women's Basketball
- Peter Flynn '14; Men's Squash
- Chris Fogg '12; Men's Hockey
- Tara Gabelman '14; Women's Basketball
- Sam Gevirtz '14; Men's Squash
- Matt Gitkind '13; Men's Track & Field
- Brenner Green '12; Men's Track & Field
- Catherine Hallisey '13; Women's Track & Field
- Maura Hallisey '13; Women's Track & Field
- Peter Herron '14; Men's Basketball
- Kim Horne '12; Women's Basketball
- Boris Jeremic '13; Men's Basketball
- Leah Kallen '14; Women's Hockey
- Katie Karlson '13; Women's Swimming & Diving
- Kevin Kelly '14; Men's Hockey
- Nick Kensey '14; Men's Squash
- Amit Kinha '14; Men's Track & Field
- Mike LeDuc '14; Men's Track & Field
- Amy Leichliter '13; Women's Hockey
- Mackenzie Lilly '13; Women's Swimming & Diving
- Drew Majkut '14; Men's Track & Field
- Becca Markson '13; Women's Squash
- Naomi Mayeux '12; Women's Squash
- Mike Petchonka '14; Men's Hockey
- Geoff Phaneuf '14; Men's Track & Field
- Dan Post '12; Men's Track & Field
- Lauren Posillico '12; Women's Hockey
- Kacie Quick '13; Women's Basketball
- Ben Ramos '14; Men's Track & Field
- Kevin Reich '14; Men's Hockey
- Blake Reilly '14; Men's Track & Field
- Adam Rimmer '14; Men's Hockey
- Jessica Schanzer '13; Women's Swimming & Diving
- Dan Smoot '13; Men's Track & Field
- Tim Walsh '12; Men's Swimming & Diving
- Michelle Wesley '13; Women's Track & Field
- Carrie Wesnousky '12; Women's Swimming & Diving
- Matt Wishnoff '13; Men's Squash
- Jeremy Wong '12; Men's Squash
By Will Tomasian