Policy and Procedure Governing Permission to Transfer Credit from Another College or Institution

Students must earn a minimum of 64 credits at Connecticut College. 

Transfer Credit Application Process for Current Students

Students planning to take courses elsewhere for transfer toward the Connecticut College degree must complete the Transfer Credit Application Form. Pre-approval of all transfer credit is required.

The form must be signed by the student's adviser. Students planning on transferring courses that are offered online*, or those that will count toward General Education/Modes of Inquiry or for the major or minor must also seek the approval of the appropriate department or program. All Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Astronomy, and Geophysics courses always require departmental approval, even if the course will only be used for general credit. *Please note that approval of online courses is at the sole discretion of the department/program; not all departments/programs approve online courses. 

If the course will be offered during the Winter Session, approval of the class dean and the Committee on Academic Standing are required. Upon submission of the Transfer Credit Application Form with the class dean's signature, the Committee on Academic Standing will review the course through the petition process. A separate petition form is not required. 

All grades and credits earned at the host institution are posted to the Connecticut College transcript and included in the student's GPA. This includes all courses taken while on Study Away. 

Current students should refer to Advanced Level Work and Advanced Standing for information about Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), British A-Levels and other Foreign Exams. 

Credits Taken Before Admission (Pre-matriculation)

College-level courses completed prior to matriculation at Connecticut College may be transferable, subject to an evaluation conducted by the Office of the Registrar. First-year and transfer applicants are required to submit transcripts for all coursework to the Office of Admission as part of the application process. Transfer students, in most cases, will receive their transfer credit determination upon admission. First-year students who believe they have transfer-eligible coursework for which credit was not awarded should contact the Office of the Registrar to request its review. Further questions about transfer admission should be directed to the Office of Admission

Online courses taken prior to matriculation are not eligible for transfer.

Transfer credit may be awarded for courses taken prior to matriculation if, upon review by the Registrar's Office, they are found to have an approximate counterpart in the Connecticut College curriculum and were completed with grades of C or better.

Courses taken prior to enrollment at the College, including prior to secondary school graduation, must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Completed on a college campus
  • Completed in a class with matriculated college students
  • Course work was not used to satisfy any high school graduation requirements

Connecticut College does not award credit for programs where the above criteria have not been satisfied, e.g., the University of Connecticut's Early College Experience Program, Kenyon College's SCA Program, Syracuse University's Project Advance or CLEP testing. 

Applicants should refer to Advanced Level Work and Advanced Standing for information about Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), British A-Levels and other Foreign Exams.