This summer a big change is coming to the library. Connecticut College, Trinity College, and Wesleyan University (CTW) will be going live with a new, shared library system on July 5th, 2017. Below are some frequently asked questions about the new system. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact Kathy Gehring.
Why is the library getting a new system?
- Previous Voyager system in place since 2004
- Technological change over 15 years has left the old library system in need of an upgrade
- New system is more user-friendly and will provide cost savings
How will the new system differ from the old one?
- New system is still primary search tool for library materials
- New interface has better search and request functionality
- Items from collections at Connecticut College, Trinity College, and Wesleyan University (CTW) will be easier to discover and request
Can I still use the old library catalog?
- No, the old library catalog is being replaced
- If you need assistance with the new system, please contact a reference librarian
What will the new library system be called?
- The new system is tentatively going to be called OneSearch across CTW institutions
I’ve heard the terms Alma and Primo. What are they?
- Alma is the staff-side version of the new library system
- Primo is the public interface of the new library system
What is the timeline for the change?
- Library staff have been preparing for the transition for the last year.
- The new system will go live on July 5th, 2017.
- We will tweak the new system over the summer in preparation for fall 2017.
- We will be running focus groups and hope to receive feedback from faculty and staff
Do I need to do anything to prepare for the change?
- Migration to the new system will require us to suspend adding new materials for a set period of time during late-spring into the summer
- Please submit book/DVD purchase requests before May
- Book/DVD purchase requests submitted after May cannot be processed until sometime in July
- Any items checked out to you at the time of the transition this summer will remain checked out to you
- The course Reserves process will remain the same